A direction is the way to a place. We can introduce directions to the children using the location of the sun. Directions are provided in terms of the place lies east, west, north and south. These are cardinal directions. We can abbreviate these directions as E, W, N, S. (EAST-WEST-NORTH- SOUTH)
Table of Contents
HOW TO DETERMINE EAST WEST NORTH SOUTH DIRECTIONS
- Firstly, stand outside in the morning and look at the sky.
- The location of the sun in the morning is east.
- We can see the sun move across the sky based on the rotation of the earth.
- It may seem like the sun is moving around the earth. But the sun is located in the sky and the earth is spinning around its axis.
- Earth takes one day to complete one rotation on its axis. At that time, half of the earth faces the sun, and the other half of the earth is facing away from the sun.
- Earth rotates counterclockwise. So, we can see the sun rise in the sky from the east and set in the west.
- In the morning, you should stand like your left hand is pointing towards the sun
- Your right hand is pointing towards the west.
- You are facing south, and your back is towards north.
HOW TO FIND DIRECTION OF A BUILDING
- Take a sheet of paper and mark the locations on the paper.
- Draw the outline of buildings in the paper.
- Then look around the building and mark the directions. We can use the location of the sun in the sky in order to determine the directions.
- We can try to figure out which direction you are standing without using instruments.
- We can observe shadows. In the northern hemisphere, shadows move clockwise. You can use shadows to determine directions.
- East and West are right angles to North and South directions.
- You never look at the sun directly. It affects your eyesight.
- Take 3 readings from different parts of your house.
- Add all three readings and divide by 3. It will be facing the building.
- In olden days people used the shadow of the sun to determine the directions. But now we use the agnostic device called compassion to check the direction.
How to determine the direction of a house with a watch
- If you have a watch, you can use it like a compass.
- Place the watch on the level surface.
- Point the hour hand towards the sun.
- An imaginary line point south.
- North is 180 ° in the other direction.