How to control cholesterol through diet

              High cholesterol is a health problem that is affecting more and more young people. Before depending on high cholesterol tablets,  we can control our cholesterol level to some extent through diet. But sometimes even if we pay attention to the diet, our cholesterol may not be under control. Let’s see why we can’t reduce our cholesterol even if we cut down on our regular diet.

              Let us  first look at which foods may cause cholesterol. The oils and fats in the foods we eat increased  20% of the high cholesterol in our body. The remaining 80% is produced by our liver. If the liver wants to produce fat,  we need to eat foods that make it fat.

                  Our body digests the carbohydrates are in the food we eat and use them as  energy. When more carbohydrates are ingested, they are converted into stored fat. 

              Our liver converts it into glycogen. That is how the cholesterol level in our body rises. It is not the oil or fat in the food we eat that raises our  cholesterol level, but our cholesterol is increased by the amount of carbohydrates in the food we eat.

  • We reduce the amount of carbohydrates.
  • Although we eat small amounts of carbohydrates, we should eat them in a way that absorbs them very slowly. This is because if the carbohydrates in the food we eat are absorbed 

quickly, they will quickly be stored as fat. But if carbohydrates are slowly absorbed,  our body can convert it into energy.

  •  Eat foods that produce good cholesterol in our body.
  • Exercise and reduce the excess energy in our body.
  •  Doing so will not increase the  cholesterol level in your body and reduce the  excess cholesterol in your body.

            Today I would like to share with you about the foods that people with high cholesterol should eat.

           We usually eat Appam,  dosa, idli,puttu, etc made with white rice. Even if we eat all these at 8 a.m. in the morning, we will start getting hungry again at 11:00 a.m. in the morning. Again we will eat. This is because the food we eat is quickly digested. Therefore avoid these all together.

  • Include foods containing wheat in the  breakfast. Chapathi, wheat dosa, etc
  • Oatmeal increases its glycemic value when it boil with  milk.Morning oat consumer’s make oat puttu or oat Upma and eat it.
  • Beans, peas, soya been  and nuts can be eaten.
  • Chapathi  with 3 egg white/ fish.
  • Fruits like orange, avocado, nuts like badam,  walnut.
  • Avoid cashew nut.

At 11 am

  • Avoid tea
  • Almonds can be soaked and eaten without peeling.It contains protein and fibres.
  • Salads with  olive oil.It increases HDL.
  • black tea/green tea without sugar.


  • Chapathi
  • Red rice  1 cup can be used. Avoid white rice.
  • Add soluble fat contained peas like beans.
  • Include Salad like onion, tomato etc with rice.
  • Include  chicken,Rabit,  fish etc.
  • Avoid crab, prawn, squid, shell fishes.It increases tri glycerides.
  • Small fishes can be included in the diet.

At 4 pm

  • Green tea/black tea without sugar.
  • Nuts, 


  • Fruits
  • It is best to skip meals after 6 p.m.
  • Add Papaya, guava,

                 Including coconut oil or olive oil in the diet can help lower cholesterol. But this should not be used  more than three teaspoons a day. Transfat change the liver function. It increases bad cholesterol. If you eat flour containing foods, eat salads with them. Do not consume juices instead of fruits at night. Because it contains more sugar level.

Foods to avoid

  • Avoid Bakery foods
  • Transfat/coloured foods like cake
  • Animal fat  in the red meats like mutton, beef
  • Avoid fried foods.
  • Avoid White rice
  • Avoid Sugar, maida
  • Avoid tubers tapioca, potato, etc
  • Avoid cola.

Leave a Comment