Sputum is a mixture of saliva and mucus coughed up from the respiratory tract, typically as a result of infection or other diseases.
- Irritation of nose, throat, lungs
- Infection such as common cold or flu
- Lungs diseases such as pneumonia, lung cancer
- Cystic fibrosis
Sputum is produced when a person’s lungs are diseased or damaged. when there is an infection in the lungs, an excess of mucus is produced. The body attempt to get rid of this excess by coughing it up as sputum.
How to reduce sputum in lungs
- Take a hot shower.
- Keeping the air moist
- Drinking plenty of fluids
- Apply a warm, wet wash clothes to face
- Keeping the head elevated.
- Not suppressing a cough
- Use humidifier
- Use cough drops
- Try a teaspoon of honey.
Home remedies to cough
- Mix 2 teaspoon with warm water Drink this mixture twice a day.
- Adding 22-40 gram of fresh ginger slices to a cup of hot water allowed to sleep for few minutes.add honey or lemon juice.
- Fill a large bowl with hot water, add herbs, lean over the bowl, place a towel over the head. Inhale the vapour for 5 minutes.
- Take half teaspoon of salt in to a cup of warm water. To cool slightly before using it to gargle.
- Use an extra pillow to elevate your head at night.
- Avoid inhaled irritants such as dust a, pollutants
- Ginger tea soothes throat inflammation.
- Mints helps looses mucus in the lungs.
- Menthol can sooth a cough.
- Licorice root acts as an expectorants.
- Apple cider vinegar Helps thin mucus.
- Take a steamy shower before bed.
- Keep your bedding clean.