Dandruff is a skin condition that mainly affects the scalp. Dandruff is estimated to affect 50 % people. In this condition small pieces of dry skin flakes off the scalp.A yeast like fungus, malassezia lives on the scalps of most adults. The extra skin cells die and fall off, making them appear white and flaky in your hair or on your clothes.
Causes of dandruff
- dry skin
- Skin conditions like Psoriasis and Eczema
- Not shampooing enough.
- Malssezia fungus
- Irritated, oily skin.
- Use of in appropriated hair products
- It is not due to Poor hygiene
- It usually begins in young adulthood and continues through middle age.
- Problems with immune system
- skin flakes on the scalp, hair, eyebrows, beard, Shoulders
- Scaly, crusty, itchy, red scalp
- anti dandruff shampooes
- anti inflammatory creams, lotions.
- steroid cream medication
- oral steroids such as prednisone
- antifungal shampoos
- Cortisone shampoos
Home remedies for dandruff
- coconut oil is used as a natural remedy for dandruff. It helps to improve skin hydration and prevent dryness.Applying coconut oil to the skin 8 weeks reduced the dandruff
- Aloe vera is the beneficial in the treatment of dandruff. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of aloe vera could help protect against dandruff. It may help control fungal infection that cause hair loss.
- Salicylic acid works by helping loosening flakes and get rid of scaly skin. Use the shampoo containing salicylic acid was effective as a prescribed medication in dandruff.
- Try crushing 2 tablets of aspirin and adding powder to your shampoo before washing your hair.
- Omega 3 fatty acids can also relieve irritation and dandruff symptoms.
- Mix 2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar with 3 cups of cold water, mixed and rinced your hair . Let it sit for 2 minutes before washing
- Combine equal part of coconut oil and lemon juice. Massage on the scalp. Let it sit for 20 minutes before wash your hair.
- Rince your hair with lukewarm water and towel dried it. Apply fresh yogurt on the cap and hair. Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Take a cup of green tea mix 2-3 drops of peppermint oil. Add white vinegar to the mix and applied it on the scalp.
Prevention is better than cure.
- To keep stress levels under control,try meditation, yoga, deep breathing.
- Take a fish oil supplement and Omega 3 rich foods.
- A diet that provides Zinc, B vitamins may help prevent dandruff.
- Daily shampooing help to prevent dandruff
- Hair styling products making them oilier.
- Sunlight may be good for controlling dandruff.